JVS offers work experiences/internships, training and job placement services to help individuals assess their abilities, enhance their skills and successfully obtain and maintain employment. JVS also assists students with disabilities in preparing for employment through classroom training, internships and job search support. View brochure »
- Work Experiences/Internships: Participants are provided the opportunity to try out jobs in the community at one of our 70+ employer partners to determine their skills, interests and conditions needed for employment success.
- Discovery: A Discovery Specialist develops an employment profile and visual resume by observing the participant in the community, school and at home. In addition, the Discovery Specialist interviews friends, family and teachers to identify employment skills, interests and conditions for employment success. The profile is used to develop a plan for employment and the visual resume is a tool developed during discovery to market the participants skills and abilities to potential employers.
- Clerical/Administrative Assessment & Training: Participants perform a variety of office tasks including answering phones, filing, bookkeeping and mail sorting to assist them in identifying their interest and skills in this area. In addition, participants who need to improve their office skills can participate in individualized skills training.
- Computer/Networking/Web Design Assessment & Training: Participants are given the opportunity to try out a variety of computer related activities to assist them in identifying interests, skills and needed training for employment success.
- Job Training Programs: Through janitorial, computer, customer service and other training, individuals learn the job skills and workplace behaviors and expectations.
- Job Placement Services: JVS staff help individuals find employment by JVS staff contacting employers, accompanying participants on job interviews (if needed) and carving out job opportunities.
- Job Retention Assistance: Once employment is obtained, JVS staff regularly follow up with participants to help them develop natural workplace supports, techniques for coping with the on-going stressors of employment and job accommodations to ensure that employment is successfully maintained.
- Youth Pre-Employment/Transition Services: JVS staff work with high school students in the schools assisting them with identifying career interests, employer expectation, job searching and soft skill development. Students also have the opportunity to participate in internships, job shadows and informational interviews with industry professionals. Services are offered in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties. View brochure »
For more information: