September 8, 2020 – JVS Human Services, one of the leading human service agencies in metro Detroit, is launching a new, free online training program to help job seekers to increase their computer proficiency necessary for securing employment both in the office or remotely. Titled “Modern Toolkit”, the prerecorded classes will be uploaded every week beginning Thursday September 10, 2020 on JVS Human Services’ Facebook . The webinars will help job seekers with tips, tools, and techniques to improve confidence and skills on the computer. Initial topics are:
- September 10 – SharePoint vs OneDrive Fundamentals; understand these file management platforms with similarities and differences in file saving and storage to help boost business efficiencies
- September 17 – LinkedIn Basics; learn to create a LinkedIn profile with your professional brand
- September 24 – Electronic File Organization; file management tips to keep your electronic files organized on your computer
- October 1 – LinkedIn Advance for Job Seekers; learn how to make valuable connections, increase knowledge and visibility in a field and open new career opportunities with LinkedIn tools
- October 8 – Intro to Google Apps; the basics of working with web-based Google Apps such as Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Sheets and Forms.
- October 15 – Ribbon Essentials and Beyond in MS Word; learn about the components of the Ribbon and how to easily navigate for quick access and increased productivity.
“Life-long learning for job seekers is essential to overcoming age barriers and to continue to be marketable,” explained Lisa Bahm, Supervisor of the David B. Hermelin ORT Resource Center, a training division of JVS Human Services. “With our new “Modern Toolkit” web series, we are offering the chance to learn some additional technical skills to help ensure that job seekers are not afraid of new technology, which is critical, especially right now.”
Access to “Modern Toolkit” is free and the Facebook page will be monitored by instructors who will be available to respond to questions. For jobseekers wanting more detailed computer instruction, online classes are available for a nominal fee; for example, a series of 24 class hours costs $110. You can sign up for classes at www.ed2go.com/hermelinORT. More information can be obtained at hermelinORT@jvshumanservices.org
Since the pandemic started, JVS Human Services has been offering jobseekers in Oakland, Wayne, and Macomb counties a variety of options to assist them in gaining employment during these unprecedented times. These training options include virtual one-on-one meetings with employment specialists, and “The Road Ahead” webinars offering advice on subjects like interview techniques on Zoom and writing resumes. Emergency one-on-one financial advice for those impacted by Covid-19 is also available.