JVS Human Services helps metro Detroiters and their families maximize their potential by providing counseling, training and supportive services for people with disabilities, job seekers, seniors and others in need. Our approach is rooted in Jewish values and the steadfast belief that the best way to help people is to make it possible for them to help themselves.
Our Core Values
- We operate with ethics, integrity and professionalism.
- We work with compassion and treat all people with respect, kindness and dignity.
- We are responsive to the needs of those we serve through flexibility, cutting-edge services and best practices.
- We value inclusion.
- We are guided by the values of our Jewish heritage.
- We are responsible stewards of our financial and other resources.
- We value collaboration and seek to further relationships that provide quality services to as many people as possible.
- We are committed advocates and leaders in the community.
JVS Human Services was founded in Detroit in 1941 as Jewish Vocational Service. The agency began with one staff member and now employs more than 300 people at its four offices in metropolitan Detroit. Throughout its history, the agency has helped thousands of people overcome life challenges. It is an organization with a rich heritage that remains steadfast in its commitment to helping people realize their potential and live their lives with dignity.
The agency first began as a women’s employment bureau in 1926 and soon expanded to help “hard to place” job applicants, including people with disabilities and holocaust survivors. After World War II, JVS placed discharged and disabled soldiers in employment, and refugees fleeing Europe were assisted.
Today, JVS Human Services adapts its services to meet the changing needs of our community to help job seekers, people with disabilities, seniors, students, homeless individuals and others seeking to realize their life’s potential.